Saturday, October 13, 2007

Fri Oct 12th Walk

Ok - I'll be honest. I tried something new and it backfired. My body just doesn't want to do it, no matter how far I try to push.

I walked to about 18 minutes, then wanted to jog and did so for 2 minutes. 1 minute walking, 1 minute jogging, 1 minute walking...and then I could not keep going. My knees just don't want to go and move and the quads were still sore.

As punishment, I made myself do 2 different sets of situps and 1 set of squats.

Walk - 22.38
Dist - 0.90
Cal - 118
Fat Cal - 36.8

That just sucked royally! So hence the need the change things up and try to get something else going. I'm going to try for 20 minutes on Monday and just alternate between jogging and walking and see if I can get that going. I had a goal for next Friday and I don't think I'm gonna get there unless I really push.

To be honest, the weight has not gone anywhere...I know it's just a number, but it's incredibly frustrating right now to not see much of a difference in things. I'll take new measurements and pictures on Friday next week and try and get them posted before I go - maybe you'll see something I'm not.

Sorry to sound so down on it all - doesn't help that this is the anniversary of my Grandmother's passing (the 14th). I was just hoping to see some real changes by now.

5 comments:

cathy said...

You know what Pam, just go easy on yourself. Emotionally, sometimes it is hard to move. I have had many runs like that...where I just want to give up.

Then, just walk slowly and think about other things...then keep going the next day.

Maybe just do 20 mins of slow walking...maybe wait on the running?

When I was learning to run, we did:

5 mins warm up brisk walk

Then 1 min run, 2 mins walk. Repeat around 6 times. Then do a cool down and stretching.

Are you doing a good stretch after your run??? That aways help. That, and fueling your body with good food. Do you eat anything before getting on the treadmill?

Like 1/2 a banana? 1/2 cup of oatmeal or 1/2 an energy bar...and water...but not too much. Maybe you are just not getting enough food energy to sustain your workout?

You will find out what works for you, that is for sure.

Hang in there, throw out the scale, and focus on measurements for now!!

PamnPat'sParadise said...

Cathy,

I swear you are my light in all this :o)

I will try what you did when you first started running and see how I do. I do a small stretch when I'm done just to try and stretch things out but at that time of the morning, I don't have much time for anything but walking before I have to get myself ready and then the kids wake up. I don't want to do it at night because I feel that it will keep me up.

I don't have anything to eat before I walk either - time constraints again - but maybe I should try that. Always have water when I wake up.

Thanks for being the voice of reason and the light that keeps me motivated. We'll do this together, especially once you've had that wonderful little baby of yours and your ready to get back atter!

Kristi said...

What Cathy said, but go even easier on yourself. Many moons ago I tried the Sun Run training, and I seem to remember the training started with 5 minutes of walking and one of running, alternatively. Gradually, as you go along, you increase the amount of time running and decrease the walking. OR just decrease the walking and keep the running at one minute.

It's really hard, but you HAVE to go easy on yourself. The pain is there for a reason, it's your body's way of telling you to take it easy!

By the way, you've motivated me to start using the treadmill here!

PamnPat'sParadise said...

Hey Kristi,

Glad to see you here. Thanks for your words of encouragement as well. I'm going to try the running/walking tomorrow and see how it goes to start with.

Glad you're going to start too - maybe we'll start a trend of walking here and then at the end of it all, we can all run together!

cathy said...

Hi Pam! How are you doing today?! It is Monday! I have my drs appt today, and I will walk tonight for a 1/2 hour! Can't wait to get on there. I took yesterday off, but I was tired from the day before because of the 3 hr gtt test.

I hope you have a great day! I am planning on running the 1/2 marathon in Victoria next October the 12th. They also have an 8k hint, hint xo